Makes 20 pcs
Prep time: 120 mins
Cook time: 50 mins
1 kg glutinous rice – wash and soak overnight
40 pcs of bamboo leaves- submerge in water overnight
3-4 bunches of twine – dunk in water for 5 secs before using
400g pork shoulder – cut into chunks
10 Dasoon salted egg yolks- halved
150g shallots, sliced
10 cloves garlic, minced
100g dried prawns, soaked, save soaking liquid
10 pcs dried Shitake mushrooms, soaked, halved, save soaking liquid
50g chestnuts, soaked, halved, boiled 10mins
Marinate for pork + seasoning for glutinous rice:
1 tbsp + 2 tbsp oyster sauce
1 tsp 5 spice powder
2 tbsp + 3 tbsp Dark thick soy sauce, (kicap manis type)
1 tbsp + 1 tbsp Soy sauce
Salt / pepper
1. Marinate pork and set aside.
2. Make shallot oil. Set aside.
3. Fry dried prawns. Set aside.
4. Next stir fry pork. Then add mushrooms, dried prawns, ½ of fried shallots and chestnuts. Add some soaking liquid. Let it braise for 5-7 minutes. Set aside.
5. In the same wok, add in shallot oil, minced garlic, the remaining fried shallots and seasonings. Mix both soaking liquid and pork in. Toss till even. Let cook till rice slightly sticky.
6. Time to wrap. Use 2 bamboo leaves for 1 pc.
7. Boil a pot of water with 1 tsp salt. Once boiled lower in bakchang in. Make sure submerge in water.
8. Remove and hang to dry. Ready to serve.
⏰Pressure cooker 50 mins on HIGH, quick release
⏰Stove top 2 hours.